Welcome to the website for SMART-TD Local 1933.
Next Union Meeting
Thursday, January 24, 2019
630pm (RVR) Golden Corral
4050 Gaskins Rd
Glen Allen, VA
Your questions, concerns, and input are important even if you cannot physically attend a meeting!
The new phone number is (515) 604-9746. Contact a local officer for the new access code.
Greetings from Samantha Taylor
January 6, 2019
Brothers & Sisters of Local 1933,
My name is Samantha D Taylor, the newly elected Local Chairman for Local 1933. I wish to take a moment and introduce myself to you. I’ve been an Amtrak conductor for the past 13.5yrs, while maintaining a strong presence within the Local as an Officer. I’ve been on numerous committees within the company including Safety, REDblock, and Safe-2-Safer. I am also a coordinator on the Human Rights Committee for SMART International.
I genuinely look forward to working with you. There are a few things to keep in mind as we move forward into the new year:
- At times I will be under enormous pressure from management; pressure you will seldom see. Anything you can do to make my job easier will be greatly appreciated.
- Being the spokesperson and leader for your peers is probably one of the toughest jobs any Local Chairman faces. The support that you give me is crucial.
- I may not have been given a huge amount of training prior to taking this position. As a result, some tasks will be learned through trial and error.
- I will make mistakes. However, I do ask that you give me the same understanding you would like me to give you when your imperfections show.
- If I do something unpractical or you witness me on the verge of doing something foolish, please tell. Don’t hint or embarrass me. Tactfully tell me.
- I’m not a fan of unpleasant surprises. Let me in on the bad news as soon as possible. I’m not here to judge; I’m here to save your livelihood.
- You should ask questions if you don’t know what to do. The Local Officers and I are always available to listen and mentor members when needed.
- I expect you to take an initiative. Our Local Union is only as great as the membership within it. I’m open to new innovative approaches, ideas, opinions.
- Let’s respect each other’s time. We each have a job to do. The more we can reduce unnecessary interruptions, the happier we’ll each be.
- If either of us has a problem with the other’s performance, let’s talk about it.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. My goal is to increase communication amongst our Local. Up-to-date information will continue to be provided on the Local website (www.utulocal1933.org). I will also utilize new forms of communication through emails and text messages. Please remember that I am working with 2 contracts, 8 crew bases, totaling 200+ members. I can be reached via email at or by cell at (804) 269-1897. Continue to be safe and vigilant; you are your brother’s keeper.
Samantha D Taylor, Local Chairman
SMART Local 1933
UTU PAC Form